homestead - [Homestead] Aging meat

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Aging meat
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 14:15:54 -0500

Hey all,

Friday is a good time for me to butcher. I've got a couple of wethers
that need to be done. I'll have extra help this weekend, Friday is Lee
- Jackson day and Monday MLK day, so I'm off work. I could even get
the meat canned.

I'd like to kill of Friday and hang for a couple of days. Problem is
the weather, too cold now. The meat carcass might freeze solid even if
I leave the hide on.

Is that going to be a problem? I don't think that I'll really get any
aging on the meat if it freezes. I do have one covered area that I
might be able to hang them and provide some cover, but with the night
temps so cold, don't know how helpful that would be. Any thoughts? Is
aging going to make a difference on meat that gets canned anyway?

Rob - Va