homestead - Re: [Homestead] Aging meat

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Aging meat
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:17:30 -0800

Do you have an area that is animal proof? If you, "hanging" can be done by not actually "hanging." <g> Wrap in cheese cloth or burlap and lay it on straw or shavings and them cover with straw to about 1' deep. The meat shouldn't freeze. You can also use an old fridge or freezer. You might need to cut the meat into quarters to get it in but leaving it in the fridge/freezer will accomplish the same purpose as hanging which is simply to get some age on it and have it go through the multiple degrees of rigor.

And, yes, you need the meat to hang for at least one day, if for nothing else, the rigor to come and go and the complete relaxation of muscle tissue.

Lynda, retired butcher
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

Hey all,

Friday is a good time for me to butcher. I've got a couple of wethers
that need to be done. I'll have extra help this weekend, Friday is Lee
- Jackson day and Monday MLK day, so I'm off work. I could even get
the meat canned.

I'd like to kill of Friday and hang for a couple of days. Problem is
the weather, too cold now. The meat carcass might freeze solid even if
I leave the hide on.

Is that going to be a problem? I don't think that I'll really get any
aging on the meat if it freezes. I do have one covered area that I
might be able to hang them and provide some cover, but with the night
temps so cold, don't know how helpful that would be. Any thoughts? Is
aging going to make a difference on meat that gets canned anyway?

Rob - Va