homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fear & Loathing , new Peter Schiff interview, immeninent demi

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fear & Loathing , new Peter Schiff interview, immeninent demi
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 10:23:04 -0500

Okay, now I am not against public transit, I think -- done right-- it could be smart. But again, what about people who are more rural than you or I ; like where roxanne or sage or gene or my parents , live. There is very little chance of building public transit to all of the rural hamlets throughout a country this large. My question might have been better put by asking how do we make up for those people who must continue to drive above average distances, from need, not want?

I'm also one of those people; it's 50+ miles to the nearest small 'city' (30,000-40,000 people). The solution, as I see it, is to have more self-contained communities. NOBODY here really wants to go work in Elmira (drive 50+ miles each way AND pay the outragious NY state income tax). Make more jobs available locally so people don't have to travel. If the government took their non-existant bailout money and used it to encourage more local production and comsumption, encourage small businesses instead of weighing them down in red tape, it would solve a lot of problems for really rural areas that are never likely to get any form of public transportation.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA