homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fear & Loathing , new Peter Schiff interview, immeninent demi

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fear & Loathing , new Peter Schiff interview, immeninent demi
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 11:27:14 -0800 (PST)

I suspect that many have not given that very Libertarian point of view much
thought.

Most do not realize for example that people who have no children, still have
to pay "school tax" on their real estate tax.... thereby subsidizing part of
the cost of those children who go to public schools.

It is the same principal you are talking about here.... That people who live
in urban and rural areas who pay road or fuel tax are subsidizing the cost of
the people who use government owned buses and trains, jitneys, etc.   If
there was no subsidy coming from people who never or rarely use public
transportation - the cost per ride would be significantly higher.  I.E. if a
one-way ride on a bus is currently $1, without subsidies it might be $3.
(not real numbers,,, just an example).

The problem is, as you know, that people always want something for either
nothing, or for less than it really costs.  They want someone else to pay for
it.

At least people who live near public transporation have the opportunity to
use it.... but those who live in places like where I live where there is NO
public transportation, are forced to subsidize a part of the cost of those
who do have public transportation in their areas with ZERO opportunity of
being able to use it.  I would have to drive 80-90 miles before coming across
a public bus and much further for a public train.    And yet, I still and
forced via taxation to subsidize the cost of public transporation.

Someone else mentioned trains.... well trains are privately owned, and the
rails the trains ride on are privately owned.  Sections of rails, of course,
are owned by different companies, so they each charge each other for "usage".

The roads are owned by government, who charges road "usage tax" (for lack of
a better term) directly to trucks companies, and fuel tax on cars/trucks.
OK, that is somewhat fair, since roads have to be maintained and those that
use road should pay for the upkeep.

Although of course there are reasons to make roads privately owned - a
nightmare logistically - but that's a whole 'nother issue.