homestead - Re: [Homestead] Water for house, garden, roof

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Water for house, garden, roof
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 20:05:09 -0800 (PST)

My usage on all days except laundry days.

1 gallon for drinking and cooking
2 gallons for hands/dishes/cooking
1-2 quarts max for toilet (not a regular toilet).
1 gallon to bathe
2 quarts just in case....

I keep up 5 gallons on standby in a cooler, and have measured this before
when the water line busted.  I have yet to use the whole 5 gallons in a day.

Did the same in an apartment. I had never had a water bill before and was a)
verifying the water actually used [the meter was in the apt] and b) trying to
see how little one can get by with....

Course in the desert without electricity (or solar powered pump) - 5 gallons
would be hard to come by....

The neighbors have a huge old metal water tower - but when I asked, the
bottom had rusted out, so they no longer use it.  They pumped water up into
to it and stored it... it wasn't rain water fed.  :-(

-How much water do you use a day?  (approx)