homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horse
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 18:52:25 -0800 (PST)

100% agree with everything you said.

You'll get a kick out of this story.

I had a lady bring a horse in from one of those big well known show barns.
He was a 17'2" TB Gelding, large boned for a TB, and severely underweight -
close to reportable levels.  She only brought him because she was leaving for
3 months, and wanted my daughter to ride him while she was away.  (How?  You
couldn't get a saddle on him without hurting him....)

I had known this horse for 6 years and was shocked at his condition.  Asked
what he was being fed.  12 qts of grain a day and 2 small pads of T&A...
Insane.  This was a hyper horse to begin with.  Naturally the minute the
owner was away, I changed his diet, which included lots of turn-out.  Of
course he was "smart" and loved grain, so would refuse to eat the hay.  All
he got from me was tough love, and hand feeding of hay until he realized the
game wouldn't work.  By the time she returned he was eating mostly hay and
less than 2 qts of grain (much later next to none).

Turned out the owner didn't return for 6 months. One afternoon, she and her
husband banged loudly on the door..  They were angry - demanding to know
where their horse was.  They couldn't find him in the barn.  Ha!  He was in
the same assigned stall the whole time when he was inside, and was actually
in his stall eating hay. They didn't recognize him (and to me he was still
underweight.)  His coat was shiny, and he had gained a lot of weight, and he
was calm, instead of his usual pacing all over.

They did not go back to the big show barn, and left him in my care for many
years, as did others who wanted sane, happy horses.  I'm convinced people is
the problem with most horses.

Show people are not evil --- but a lot of them are really stupid and cruel -
some very visibly cruel, and others very subtly.  'Tis a long story, but I
worked with "O" Judges for years.  One in particular, an older German Judge,
actually teared up while judging and refused to give a score - for a
competitor nearing the international level - for the kind of cruelty that
most people can't see.  Boy did that cause a lot of behind door arguments
between a couple of "O" judges since 3 scores were required.