homestead - Re: [Homestead] more pictures

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] more pictures
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 08:07:09 -0600

Karst is interesting stuff. Just imagine holes like the ones in my pictures only underground, like a honeycomb, but large enough for water to flow through and you have our region's aquifer. I think that's what our pioneer well is tapped into.--S

EarthNSky wrote:
I was reading up on karst topography a while back and I did notice that the Texas Hill country is also karst. It seemed strange to me at the time, but then I saw your pictures of your recent trip and I can definitely see it now.
The cave as dump phenomena is all too prevalent here, too. Disgusting.

Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
In our local bat cave there are flesh eating beetles. That's enough to keep me out of local caves. And believe me, nobody wants to go through the rabies vaccine. The caves at the Wildflower Center were actually recharge points for the aquifer. One year they put dye tracers in during a rain and it came up in the spring fed city pool within 24 hours even though it was many, many miles away. But Bev is right, a caving club could tell you more. In many rural areas including mine caves were unfortunately often used as on site garbage dumps up until the 70's when ecosystems became better understood. Cavers have cleaned cans of pesticide, cow skeletons, toxic junk, etc. out of them.--Sage

EarthNSky wrote:
Roxann,
Please don't go into the cave or allow your kids to do so.
1. It is not safe, physically or bacteriologically (think cave ins,
rabid bats, guano)
2. Imagine your scare should you find something like skeletal remains
3. You could be damaging a very fragile ecosystem

If you really want to explore the cave, I'd call your local/regional
spelunking (caving) club. They have experience in wild caving and could
explore it/map it for you. It would satisfy your curiosity and delight
some caver to the core.

Bev

roxann wrote:
Hi Bob,

We've gone to the cave but it doesn't go very far before it gets too narrow for my comfort. I've considered tying rope to Garrison and sending him in with a helmet and light, though, lol. He wants to, but
I'm still afraid. I think there's a larger room in there because
cold air comes out from a hole below the entrance.