homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken Feed Quest.

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken Feed Quest.
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:18:21 -0500

Organic and free range means little. Farm eggs or pastured or range
eggs whatever you want to call them have better nutrition if the hens
are eating a natural diet. Bugs, grass, clover, weeds, grubs, etc. The
ratio of omega 3 to 6 is healthy and they taste good.

Here are some interesting links:
http://www.motherearthnews.com/eggs.aspx
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/2007-10-01/Tests-Reveal-Healthier-Eggs.aspx

I'm happy to say that I have not eaten a refrigerated egg in 3 years.
I don't want to eat an egg unless it can hatch a chick.

But, if you are in the city, you have few options. I think that those
omega 3 whatever eggs in the store probably are the best bet. You
really don't know how the chickens were treated or what they ate with
organic, regular or free range eggs. At least in those eggs they are
trying to artificially manipulate the hens eats to make an egg that
has a decent ratio of omega 3 to 6.

For a person with hens on a small place like the Sue, I like James'
suggestion. Bring the feast to the hens.

Rob -Va