homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small farms Changing

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small farms Changing
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 12:40:25 -0800

Bob, it is advertising. It became the industry standard back in the Kansas City stockyard days. The rich folks got the fancy beef which was "corn fed" and now folks don't have a clue. They want the "pretty red" color and the bottomline is that simply means no oxygen has gotten to the meat. Folks, generally speaking, haven't a clue what *real* beef, or any other meat for that matter, tastes like.

You can literally take a grassfed piece of beef that is properly aged and cut it with a fork. And, while a young steer/cow is your best bet, even an old cow that was always been living the good life is a good piece of meat when properly aged!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I wondered about the exotic animals bit. I know, out here, ostrich and emu ranching went bust a while back and the ranchers donated their animals to the sheriff to serve inmates (cheaper to donate than to feed- for some reason, no customers to buy them?). Do you feed your cows any corn? Why do the commercials and ads say "corn-fed beef"?