homestead - Re: [Homestead] Sky-is-falling forecasts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Sky-is-falling forecasts
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 16:10:35 EST

> >Bob; I think that is why many of us feel that we are of a different
> mindset
> than you. I, at least, don't think "back to normal" is a good thing.

Not only not a good thing, it's not even a possible thing.

It's not a matter, as has been suggested here by more than one, of a roll of
the dice and we have no earthly idea how things will turn up. The way things
are shaping up is pretty clear and why.

If you were looking at the horizon from where your severe weather comes and
see an onimous black thunderhead coming your way, see the twinkling of
lighening and rumble of thunder, smell rain on the air, it's not just a toss
of the
dice whether hard weather is on its way or not. It is. It might turn away,
but
the odds are against it.

It doesn't matter whether you are ready for things to get wet and be blown
about or not. Just because some little old lady has a hole in her roof, it
doesn't mean the storm front obligingly turns aside.

Again as an example, in 2004 and 2005 many of us pointed out that people were
depending on the price of housing to keep going up indefinately. People were
already buying houses that cost all they would make in twenty years, and the
only way possible for them to keep those houses was for the value to go up
astronomically so they could refi on the increased equity. This required
more
and more people to demand housing and we all asked, "Where do you see these
people coming from?" The answer was retirees and immigrants. The math just
wasn't there. We saw a storm coming and smelled the rain and heard the
thunder.
The retirees have lost huge amounts of their money and immigrants are
leaving.
The storm hit just as it threatened to do.

What is going on now is more of a toss of the dice than that was. Money was
called into existence in order to everyone own homes and feel as if they were
wealthy. That money has evaporated out of existence. The Fed is trying to
shore up that dike by creating money that isn't backed by anything whatever.

Logic and history says we are in for a collapse.

If not, how do you see us avoiding that? "Ya just never know" is not an
answer to that question.

James