homestead - [Homestead] Peppers, was Canned Meats

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Peppers, was Canned Meats
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 15:19:45 -0800

When we lived in Mexico, the peppers were roasted and then peeled and seeded. Some of the pepper was put in the water and simmer and some was smashed up in a pestal or on a butcher block (usually a chunk of stump) with garlic and salt until you had a paste and then added into the liquid. The pepper "disappears" and sort of becomes a thickener. Then you have a thin mole, not a "water."

This type of mole is what I add to rice to make a true Mexican rice which is baked, not boiled/simmered, btw, and when done this way comes out perfectly every single time.

Why can't you grow peppers?

Bueno.

So you don't use the pepper at all? It just flavors the water?

Right, the dried pepper itself is not used, just the water you boil it in.
'Flavor' the water is misleading, though. The inside of the pepper
disintegrates and all you remove from the water is basically the outside hull of the
pepper, which isn't much edible anyway.

I have become addicted to avocados. I know they are loaded with fat,
but I'm telling myself it is a good fat<g>

Don't underestimate that! It is whole, unadulterated vegetable fat. I very
seriously doubt any active person ever got fat from eating avocados.

The only bad thing is that we can't grow them, so they must be
purchased. Is there a way to preserve them? Can you mash the flesh,
add lime juice and maybe freeze it? How long will a avocado keep? I
wouldn't have a clue-since they are my chocolate-it never lasts more
than two days in the fridge..:)

"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."
Thomas Paine (1737 - 1809)