homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 15:59:23 -0800 (PST)

My maternal grandmother used to order a special dry smoked ham from Virginia
every Christmas. I meant to look this year on the internet to see what kind
of prices the kind she used to buy cost, now. I bought a Farmer Johns
cry-o-vaced ham on sale this week for 78 cents per lb, to cook this weekend.
We always cook a standing rib roast for Christmas, and they were on sale too,
for $3.77 per lb. Maybe next year I will remeber to look for one of those
Virginia hams. They don't add water or anyhting; they are dry smoked, and
damn tasty. I haven't had one in years....