homestead - Re: [Homestead] welding

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] welding
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 23:11:49 -0800

I would love to have one of the portable band saws, Back when I was doing
chain link fences that was high on my wish list.

> I sense a prejudice in Don towards the Lincoln stick-welder.

Only because they are so common therefore can be had cheap, new, used, and
maybe even free, and are a decent welder. The only thing I have against
wire feed is the cost, a good one is about twice the Lincoln. Other than
that a novice can lay a very good bead with a wire feed.

My stick welder is a very old Marquette as sold by NAPA many years ago. It
is a good AC welder and has a 30% duty cycle. I had an even older General
Electric shipboard stick welder. Weighed a ton and did not know what abuse
was. I am trying to remember why I no longer have that welder.

I do have a Hobart wire feed. I like working with it and it does not need a
220 outlet.

As for skill, I grew up welding on the farm and my uncle operated a welding
and Diesel repair shop but it has been many years since I have welded. All
my stuff is in storage waiting for me to get another shop.

Don Bowen KI6DIU