homestead - Re: [Homestead] welding

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] welding
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:25:24 -0500

> I am not a fan of the cheap Chinese junk sold by HF. On a wire feed the
> mechanism is very important. So far from what I have seen the feed on the
> units sold by HF does not look very good and I have been told
> that they are
> prone to snarls. Like any tool, buy the best you can afford so it will
> provide good service and you only have to buy it once.

I agree with you 100%, I just posted those links as a starting point. I have
a nice little Clarke welder (made in Italy of all places), and it works very
well. I also have a coffin-top lincoln stick welder but I rarely get it out
anymore as most of what I break or fabricate seems to be 1/4" or less in
thickness so the wire welder does just fine. (And for me, has been much
easier to achieve nice results than with the stickwelder).

Warren