homestead - Re: [Homestead] welding

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] welding
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 11:03:23 -0800

> My biggest suggestion, no matter what kind of welder/welding you decide
> on, is to buy an auto-darkening welding helmet.

They are nice but don't go for the cheapest ones. The response speed on
many of the cheaper ones is a bit low. Another problem is that you may not
be able to get replacement covers or batteries in the future. I have a
decent quality auto darkening and at the time I also bought a kit with
several plastic covers so I will always have one on hand.

> Inexpensive wire welder
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=94056
>
> Inexpensive helmet
> http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91214

I am not a fan of the cheap Chinese junk sold by HF. On a wire feed the
mechanism is very important. So far from what I have seen the feed on the
units sold by HF does not look very good and I have been told that they are
prone to snarls. Like any tool, buy the best you can afford so it will
provide good service and you only have to buy it once.

Don Bowen KI6DIU