homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homemade exercise mat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homemade exercise mat
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 00:22:22 -0500

Great idea about the binding,,,,that I can do, and I just happen to have some that matches!
I haven't had a chance to do anything with it in a few days. I am now really far behind my schedule of things I need to do, so this project may be on hold until the New Year. I appreciate you taking the time to think this out and give me ideas and instruction. You are my new mentor...Mom, without all the guilt...lol..she always says, Beverly didn't you learn anything I taught you? or I taught you better than that! Thanks SusanJane

sjc wrote:
Bev, I was mulling over how to draw a little illustration of a way to make your mat cover and it occurs to me now that a good thing to do in this case would be to bind the whole thing, as that way when you get the inevitable edge wear you can just replace the binding, whereas if you stitch the perimeter seams and turn them (in a traditional straight seam), the wear will occur on the outside of the seam, and in order to take a new seam (to cut off the worn part) you would have to reduce the sides too much.

So, here's what I think I'd do (gave up on the illus, not my talent), using made-up measurements, of course. I'll say the finished size is about 3X6', and for the sake of this discussion the open end is the short end. I've also allowed wide seam allowances that might not suit you, obviously all that's adjustable to suit.
Cut a front 38X80", and a back piece 38X90". Bind short edge of each piece. Line up the unbound edges with wrong sides together and stitch around them twice, trim near the seam, then bind that seam, on the outside, on all three sides. Bag, roll, and insert the foam all the way to the stitched end of the cover 'pocket' (keep the distal end in place in the pocket with binder clamps or something, Ron's hands maybe), and smooth it all out. Tuck the longer edge of the back piece over the top of the foam so that it's between the upper cover and the foam. Pin that in place, and take the loose end of the top cover to the back, pin it down smoothly over all. Then mark the back piece for your Velcro placement, unpin the top flap and mark Velcro placement on that. I'd put the hook end of the Velcro on the back. Take all the pins out, and may have to remove the foam (depends on your working space, manual dexterity, and machine throat space) and stitch your Velcro strips down. Might want to add a little pocket somewhere (I put pockets on everything now that there's nobody here to put frogs and dead moles in them.) and you're done.

That way it's pretty easy to do, and the part that will wear first, edges, is readily replaceable.

SJ