homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homemade exercise mat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homemade exercise mat
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 02:31:10 -0500

sjc wrote:

I would likely cover the foam with a pretty closely fitted cover before I put any other cover on it; that will help keep it from breaking down so fast. I'd use an old all-cotton sheet for that, if I could.

I did not even think of that...great idea. Have old sheets, can do. I
hate the feel of foam and this would eliminate me getting goosebumps
when I touch it. (It's a texture thing-I don't like balloons either)

Then
the foam and that cover I'd cover with whatever. Lay out the foam, lay old sheet over it, and try the comforter for 'slip'. It will likely slip more than on bare foam but I'd think there still might be
enough 'grab' there to make it workable. My guess is you will still
need a cleaner's bag to get the foam in/out, even with it covered with cotton.

I have a couple of cleaner's bags, too. That is such a great idea. I
never would have thought of that.

Some poly in the sheet cover would make it slip into the cover more easily but would also increase the slip after the cover's on, which I'd think wouldn't be good.

Yeah, I'm walking a fine line on overall fit, balancing that with ease
of removal.

As to design of the cover, I'd likely make an envelope cover that could be tucked to the back just an inch or two, and use the soft Velcro to fasten that.

An envelope! SJ you are a genius. I had not thought of that, either,
and that is a great idea-it will be much easier to remove the foam from
the long side than from the narrow end!

If you fit it,
though, piping in the perimeter seams will help give it enough shape to help with that skinny 2" edge. And piping's not hard, it just gets a bad rap. Oh, I'm thinking you're missing your zipper foot. Hmmm, piping in that case might be a hassle.

I have a zipper foot, but I've never done piping.

The denim will wear better than the comforter, simply because a twill
weave wears better than almost any other weave, and it's probably also heavier than the surface factor of the comforter. Less likely to pick up/show dirt. But it's not like you're a 6 year-old, and if I wanted the comforter, that's what I'd use.

The denim is dark and heavy, like real Levis used to be before they were
stone washed/acid washed/treated.. The comforter is navy blue, so the
two are about the same color. One disadvantage to the comforter is that
it would be more likely to slide around on the wood floor, whereas the
denim twill might provide more traction on the woodfloor. I can't decide...
I'll go ahead and make the cotton covering for the foam and play around
with an envelope..will decide that later.
Any and all opinions appreciated, and thanks SusanJane, for great ideas
and inspiration.

Bev
--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men