homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homemade exercise mat

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homemade exercise mat
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:58:16 -0500

bobf wrote:
Bev, I don't know what the material is called or where you would find
it, but most exercise mats are made of a slick material that repels moisture (sweat). You can buy them really cheap, second-hand in a city, but you probably wouldn't have as much access there. I bought one for a dollar for use in my backyard several years ago. The people had owned a small health club, and were selling mats, equipment , etc.

I think you are talking about yoga mats, thin little mats..right? Those
types of mats are used to give traction more than for the cushion.
I researched mat thickness and exercise specifics, then talked to my doc
about this. She recommended a minimum of 2" for joint cushioning, which
is about equivalent to martial arts mats. Tumbling mats are even
thicker. As it happened, I had a 2" foam mat.
I went to Hancocks in Rome on Tuesday to buy thread for my rug and
such..I rarely get over to Rome, but if I need a zipper, that is where I
will need to go. Point is, Bob, that I really don't want to buy
anything. I have the foam, I have the material, I just need a good
design. As long as the mat cushions my joints and is washable and safe,
I'm good.
Thanks..

Bev
--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men