homestead - [Homestead] Hatching math

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Hatching math
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 04:51:23 -0500

I got my power bill and it was way more than this time last year. Of
course, this time last year, I was working, not home in the day, and
wasn't hatching chicks. This year, compared to last year, I used almost
30% more energy. That is cause for investigation. Obviously, I will
use more energy being at home...vacuuming, laundry, computer, etc., but
this just seemed like a lot of energy used. How expensive are these
chickens- I ask myself...My first step is calculating the cost of the
incubation itself.

The Hovabator is a 25 watt incubator
It runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 21, say 22 days.
The egg turner uses 3 watts, and runs 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, for
18 days.
Using appliance energy use calculations:
1. Change w to kw/day, divide by 1000
25x24/1000 = 0.6 kilowatts/day used
3x24/1000 = 0.072 kilowatts/day
2. calculate days
0.6 kw/day x 22 = 13.2 kilowatts used per hatching
0.72 x 18 = 1.3 kilowatts
3. Add together
13.2 + 1.3 = 14.5 kilowatts used per hatching round.

I will round that off to 15 kw.

According to my power bill..
If I am calculating daily kw costs from last months bill correctly, I am
paying about 10 cents per kw directly to the EMC per day...so at 10
cents a day x 22 days = $2.20 the grand total for electricity used for
each hatching.
Is that right?? Can it really be that cheap to hatch eggs?
One chick at the farm store costs $2. Hatcheries are even more expensive.

Basically, one chick pays the electricity....that can't be right. I am
overtired and sans sleep..someone look at the math above.
My God, with laying hens selling for $8 or more in these parts, I could
make a fortune! ;)

You know, if this is correct, I cannot think of a more pleasurable way
to spend $5 and enjoy two rounds of chicks. That's entertainment(and
food) Try that stretch at Micky D's!

Bev, still thinking this isn't right..and will wait for advice before
continuing on with the energy consumption of the various lights used to
keep chicks warm...

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men