homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hatching math

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hatching math
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 02:27:54 -0800

At 12/20/2008 01:51 AM,EarthNSky wrote:

13.2 + 1.3 = 14.5 kilowatts used per hatching round.

I will round that off to 15 kw.

According to my power bill..
If I am calculating daily kw costs from last months bill correctly, I am
paying about 10 cents per kw directly to the EMC per day...so at 10
cents a day x 22 days = $2.20 the grand total for electricity used for
each hatching.
Is that right?? Can it really be that cheap to hatch eggs?
One chick at the farm store costs $2. Hatcheries are even more expensive.

25w x 24h= 600w/day
3w x 24h= 72w/day
672w/day x 22d= 14784w
15kw x $0.1 = $1.50

Basically, one chick pays the electricity....that can't be right. I am
overtired and sans sleep..someone look at the math above.
My God, with laying hens selling for $8 or more in these parts, I could
make a fortune! ;)

Keep in mind the 6 or 7 months from hatching to laying and you might be on to something.

FWIW I built a brooder from reading this site http://www.plamondon.com/brooder.shtml (thanks Karen!) and it worked really well, I kept it in an 8x8 building that was just for brooding chicks. Having a dedicated brooder house turned out to be a good thing.

Lot's of other good reading at http://www.plamondon.com/

Rob
becida AT comcast.net