homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wood cook stove, two burner, narrow

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wood cook stove, two burner, narrow
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:23:33 -0500

bobf wrote:
I saw one like the one in the picture, but it didn't seem very narrow, up
close
I thought I said that. Am I going nuts? Or aren't you reading?
Anyway, 22" is certainly not wide, for a cookstove, and although a bit wider than the firebox on the all-cast one (Vog....), being lined with firebrick it only requires at most a 16" clearance, so fits in about the same or a bit less width....or did you read that far?
I saw a completely refurbished beautiful woodstove at the same place, it was
that old green, gold, and black, all gold trimmimgs, and was very large. It
was pricey. I have seen a number of decent looking wood cook stoves out here
with widely varied prices. There isn't much use for them in Phoenix, and
they are heavy as hell to transport. The pricier ones are always the fancy
ones -- money for show.
Well, you could always come up here and get one for free and spend twice or three times what you're now seeing, just to haul it to Phoenix, then haul it to wherever, all the while hoping it doesn't crack and that it's fit to cook on (some of those old ones are horrid designs for anything like a functional use). By that time all your 'friends' will have moved far away.....
Lehmans has an Amish 'welded' wood cookstove. It isn't nearly their most
expensive, but it has the biggest oven and the biggest cook stove surface.
And, they factor in transport with price. I have been watching for the
perfect used one at the perfect price, to buy and store out here. But, if I
don't find it, I think the one from Lehmans would wrok best for a novice le
I don't know which one you are looking at or even if Lehman's carry it, but if it's purely function you want in a new wood stove, you want the one made by the Stoll brothers, out of Ontario. Used to be Mark and Elmo, but I know Elmo died 10 years or so ago, now it's Mark and another brother. That one works and is priced reasonably, for such a tool. Gorgeous it's not, unless you appreciate a tool that looks like it's supposed to do a job with no further ado......

SJ