homestead - Re: [Homestead] Wood cook stove, two burner, narrow

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Wood cook stove, two burner, narrow
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 13:50:44 -0700

On Dec 19, 2008, at 1:35 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Does anyone know a source for a narrow wood stove with two cook plates
on top, one in front of the other?

Gene, all the feed'n'seeds, Ace, and Lowes around here sell an iron stove
called the Vogelzang ("birdsong" if memory serves). It is exactly as you
describe, long, narrow, two lids fore and aft. There are at least two different
sizes.

The stove comes knocked down and you assemble it. It might not thus seem
substantial, but I've been using one in the shop for 15 years, even had coal in
it from time to time, and it continues unabated.

Thanks for the reinforcement. My searches weren't working because I was unaware of the key term: "boxwood" stove. Vogelzang does indeed make them and they are available from various outlets. The best price I have found so far is from Amazon.com, for 170 plus 91 shipping.

Won't be sure if it will fit where I want it in the Heartwood kitchen until I get back there and measure. Our beautiful old Wedgewood gas stove, circa 1930, burned out a rear plate where the fire boot connects to the "trash burner" section on the left, which is lined with cast iron plates and burns wood nicely. If that were its only problem I would fix it. I have a professional appraisal stating its value as-is at 900. If I can sell it here even for much less it will save the hauling and more than pay for a new Vogelzang.