homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homesteading as an Economic Basis

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homesteading as an Economic Basis
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 16:49:15 +0000

Sandy,

Right about this time of year it gets pretty bad for me, too, and if I had a
choice I'd be in bed at dark and rising with the sun, and sleeping as much of
it away as I could waiting for the days to get longer again. This year I did
better than previous years.

Mind you, we don't have the same kind of short days they have in other parts
of the country, but it's noticeably shorter at this time of year. It gets
dark at 4:30 right now, because the setting sun just doesn't send much light
over the mountains into our little valley.

But it has taken me 3 years to remember that by mid-March, I can expect to
reach my gate before it's too dark to see outside, and I'm looking forward to
it. And I'm looking forward to winter solstice (Dec.21) because that night is
the longest night and after that I can watch the days get longer. I get
depressed because I leave for work when it's dark and I get home when it's
dark. If I don't get to leave for lunch, I do not see daylight for a week at
a time, and that really gets to me. I start to get really anxious if I'm not
home by 8 o'clock and i hate to start projects right now, too, because it's
only on the weekends that i might get time to work on them.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)