homestead - Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Go ld -- feel free to ignore
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 00:25:24 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Bev asked in a posting on this thread, "What if Herself severed her hand?" Well, that's all the more reason to walk very circumspect to make sure that one is not risking one's hand. For example we don't use tractors and 3point hitch machinery that probably accounts for a high percentage of homestead severed hands. That is, the best we can all do is stack the odds in our favor.
Yes, well, I've no quibble with that; but we've spent many an hour, some pleasant, even, mulling over what is the best plan....maybe in such a case as mine we will then just always wonder which decision might be more right, or wrong, in any given situation.

I do know, for sure, that if I'd been trying to live any other way, the bills would have drowned me. As it was, it's taken basically my whole life to pay them so that now I have very little in reserve, so it's a pretty good thing I have this spot and know how to live on it. I don't think they have poorhouses anymore! If everything stays on an even keel from here on out, I'll come out just about even, but still be able to enjoy fresh food safely grown, have my woods for rocksitting, and to keep me warm in the winter.

I've kept the back of that trailer under tarps, and recently have started thinking about a 'trailer inside a greenhouse' sort of rig, where I could also enjoy some extended gardening season, etc, take the very rear off and part it out, put a little summer bedroom out there.....still mulling. I've never been able to find anyone who could (or would) be able to fix it; I think I need to find an aircraft body guy; those older Spartans were made from parts left over from WWII at the Spartan Aircraft mfg plant in OK, as housing for returning GIs when they were employed in the midwestern industrial plants; there were, when I was a kid, whole little 'cities' of those shiny trailers all lined up in rows. The thought of living like that gives me the willies, but I love the trailer itself. Mine has plane windshield windows front and rear, and the curved front and rear metal panels, too cool. And the inside is still solid, all wood and metal, built quite nicely. And the space inside is delightful, with more light than most houses. So I'll see.

Anyhow. It all keeps me from being bored..... :-)

SJ