homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cool food storage

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cool food storage
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 10:23:31 -0800 (PST)

Gene,

For storing  potatos / carrots in the soil, does the soil have to remain
above freezing?

I'm in southern NM, close to Mexico.  It can snow (and evaporate quickly)
here and is already dropped below 32 degrees for a few hours a night,
sometimes, but I doubt the soil really freezes.  The bird water does freeze
over, but I haven't measured the depth of frozen water.