homestead - Re: [Homestead] Playing Possum

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Playing Possum
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:57:43 -0500

sjc wrote:

Tried to make a pet out of 3 little ones whose mother got 'combined' (so that tells you how long ago that was!!). No clue how old they were, but about 3" body length. They lived on goat's milk and assorted scraps, and were uniformly and unrelentingly primitive in their interactions, both with each other, and in interactions with dogs, cat, etc, including the person who brought food to them and talked to them in a soft, quiet tones. For her efforts, she got several good puncture wounds, one of which still can be seen. Eventually one got my brother, at which point they were summarily fed to the hogs. I'd say they were nearly full-grown at that time.

It seems to me they are on automatic pilot at all times; they really don't seem to think at all, near as we could see. Never did we see any action between them that wasn't jostling for food, or outright fighting over it. No observable attempt was made to form a particular sleeping area or to sleep in a group. Food was everything; other than that, all other action we could see was reactive.

Two words: Land Shark

--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda