homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dog rescues dog..

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dog rescues dog..
  • Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 16:35:33 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bob wrote I prefer to be judged as a nation of individuals and
communities.

Nicely put, Bob. I agree. I see the Federal Government as an entity
separate from the people of this country.

Well, I agree with both of you!
I think the BEST things about our nation are the people and the various
communities that live here. I, too, see the Fed as separate, but unlike
apparently everyone else on this list, I do see that our government has
done *some* good things over the years. Lynda asked the question "what
do we have to be proud of as a country" and I answered it as best as I
could given the constraints.

I don't think it really represents any
individual's or community's view.

I'm not sure that it should. If it represented any one person or
faction, then it would not be a republic. I think Jefferson said
something like in a democracy, 49% of the people are subjected to the
will of the other 51%..lol
I think most of the power should lie with the States, not with the
Fed..I am all for a smaller Federal Government and giving state and
local government more responsibility when it comes to representing the
community view.

It rolls along, powered by unknown forces
(i.e. corporations, financial insitutions, and other special
interests) that we the people don't see.

Yup...we definitely need less government. I think we should pare it
down. I think, however, with the Dems in control, it will grow.

I recall that during the election, there was mention of Obama's cap and
trade policy concerning energy/environmental concerns. I read a few
days ago that these cap and trade things benefit only the big
corporations. I don't understand all of that-maybe someone here will
explain, but I know enough to understand that this is not a good thing.
To me, it sounded like selling out to special interests, but I will
defer judgment until someone explains the cap and trade thing to me.

And we all just roll along, trying not to get
crushed by it.

I definitely see this as the case now, but I don't think this has always
been the case, do you?

We as a country have done some good things, but also done
some very wicked things...I think 'we the people' have no idea about
half the 'wicked things' our government has done.

I totally agree. My question back to you is "is there a government on
Earth that has not done wicked things?" My whole point was that "we as a
country" included individuals as well as the government.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda