homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dog rescues dog..

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dog rescues dog..
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 17:06:10 -0600

Illinois is unusual in having a low ratio of of state employees to
population -- much lower than many other states. When I went to work
for the State Board of Education in 2000, the agency had around a
thousand employees(which was down from 1500). We're now down to about
500. We'd probably be lower but as you indicate some employees are
paid with federal funds fin areas like special education and nutrition
and some (but fewer than you'd think) NCLB stuff.

I don't see the phenomenon you worry about here. But then, we have
state government pretty well down-sized.
Heck, my agency down sized so much that they reduced the number of
administrators (which has built up some under this last
administration).

Other agencies, such as Ag, may be different, but when I ran a dairy I
mainly dealt with the state Department of Health: nothing federal.

Marie