homestead - Re: [Homestead] Greed revisited

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Greed revisited
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:03:34 -0800 (PST)

>From time to time when I talk to people I sense that they are mixing up
>greed with envy.

It seems that regardless of individual economic wealth, most people are never
satisfied with what they have.  They always seem to want at least one more
thing that a higher wage earner has.

The person that makes $5/hour envies the things that can be purchased by the
$10/hour wage earner, and so on.  Up to the point that what is envy and
desire is turned into a perception that the next higher up wage earners are
viewed simply as greedy.

I'm not saying this is what you are suggesting,,,, this is just what I run
across in conversations with people from time to time.

I understand the question here is at what point does an individual cross over
from just spending his earnings on things that he can afford (regardless what
level that is) on thing he wants - to the point of turning into greed.

My first thought is that greed occurs when an individual goes out of their
way to actually cheat another person.

I.E. a former employer, I would consider greedy.

I did not envy his ability to organize people to earn money thru actual
efforts exceptional efforts.  I did not envy the quantity of money he made,
or what he spent his money on, regardless that I would not have spent the
money the same way.

However, I considered him greedy because he went out of his way to cheat
employees out of their overtime, cheated them by paying less than minimum
wage, and even used employment lawyers and a well paid VP (who cheated the
owner and rarely worked) to achieve cheating employees so he could spend
carelessly and lavishly.  He also cheated investors and sponsors out of money
by spending the money, and not following thru on commitments, so that he
could continue "vacationing" and "spending" all the time.

Spending as in redecorating the entire house annually, and removing all trees
and plants and replanting fully grown trees and plants every year... Ok fine,
I wouldn't do that, but he only could do this thru cheating his employees.
Had he not cheated employees out of fair and legal wages, well spending like
that crazy as it is to me, kept other people employed, especially all the
yard people who charged him ridiculous amounts of money because the boss was
such an obnoxious jerk to them.

I'm not so sure that "excessive possesion" in and of itself defines greed, as
long as the acquisition of wealth is done without "cheating" (think broad
definition there).  Most people want a little something more, and the
wealthier aquiring "things" trickle down.

A better example of greed of course involved the mortgage loans made to
people who they had to have known couldn't pay back the mortgages/loans, and
then passing the old maid and responsibility to others in the form of CDOs,
etc.  I.E. they cheated in order to acquire wealth.

<<<<I've been mulling this subject of greed. While the definition varies
depending on the observer, it is pretty much common to qualify greed
as excessive possession or use of some valuable commodity, from gold
to water and all between, that shorts other people. Sort of a fair use
policy.>>>>