homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2008 02:33:45 -0500

Cathy wrote:

Did these atrocities occur when so many of the others did--when
Social Darwinism was all the rage here and abroad--late nineteenth
into early twentieth centuries? What a messed up time. We really
thought we could fix everything--everything--into varying ideas of
utopia. Perfection via science and education. What a bunch of
messed up idiots.

I think you have the timeline right. I don't know when it began, but
the 'conversion' stuff was apparently still in high gear in the late
1800's. My grandfather came here to escape the Russians though.
Finland was part of Russia at the turn of the century and Czar Nicholas
was trying to stamp out communism. He survived the big purge in 1905 and
obviously the one in 1908 before he left Finland in 1909. I wonder how
the czar felt about the Saami...maybe he survived the purges because he
was Saami? These are the things I would like to know.

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda