homestead - Re: [Homestead] It's almost over

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] It's almost over
  • Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 20:23:18 -0500

Well, as you probably guessed<g> I tend to believe that it is not a new
thing, that this 'raiding and killing for resources' is a behavior seen
throughout human history. If you take a snapshot of any civilization in
time, generally there are going to be a peaceful civilization or they
would not get to the 'civilized' stage of existence. Learning about
ancient civs has shown me, however, that violence is not anything new to
modern man. Whether it is because of climate change or natural disaster
or poor management of resources, people have a history of violently
taking what they need from their neighbors.
I can't recall the name of your people. Wiyot???I'm sorry-I know you
told me just recently, too. My ancestors, the Saami, were generally
nomadic. I can't imagine them in war either..(we could be easy on our
ancestors and call it 'Resource Allocation'..<bad joke>)...I've never
read anything about warring tribes of Saami, amongst themselves or
others. I know, thanks to Roxann who sent me an article with a lot of
first hand info) that like your people, my people were also forcibly
sterilized-seen as an inferior race. So Bob, there's yet another case
of such, only this time the evilbadguys are the Norwegians, Swedes,
Russians, and Finns. Atrocities are everywhere, seemingly committed by
everyone, and while I like to think of my ancestors as peace-loving
reindeer herders and fishermen who were horribly victimized by the Evil
Lutherans<g> (now please people, that, too is a joke,,,my grandfather
did convert and my father was Lutheran), logic and history tells me that
it probably isn't true.

Today, Roxann kindly sent me an article written by a friend of hers who
married a Sami. There was an interview of a Saami man who related his
story. While his tribe was in Norway, his story brought back memories
and recollections of things my father told me about my grandfather and
his/our family. All of this tribal stuff, your family, my family, my
conversation with Susan, Roxann, is all just a bit much on
synchronocity. It is really strange. I am now going to sit down and
think and write what I know and what I think I know about my
grandfathers life. It was very validating to hear this man's story
which seems to have greatly paralleled my grandfather's. As an adoptee,
a second generation American, and possibly the first generation who is
actually proud to be Finnish/Saami/American, maybe even proud to be
Russian<g>(however you want to look at it), this heritage is massively
important to me. I am close enough to the past to amass information for
future generations, and I intend to do so. My grandfather stopped
speaking his native language at 10, learning Finnish. He spent 10 years
traveling across North America in both Canada and the US before finally
landing in Oregon. When he died in the 1970's, he spoke minimal
English. My father and aunt grew up speaking Finnish and never uttered
English until they went to school. By adulthood, they only spoke
English. My father and aunt are gone, so I have my work cut out for me,
but I intend to find out as much as I can. Once, my father pointed to a
map and told me that my grandfather originally came from the area near
Kemi, on the northern Gulf of Bothnia. That makes sense, because I know
he was from a fishing tribe/village. If you search it, the Saami maps
don't show this area as being a part of the Saami homeland. I used to
think that perhaps they were inland fisherman, possibly from the Lake
Inari area (Inari Saami), but I can't say for sure. I did however, see
on Wiki that the Kemi Saami language is extinct. :( Perhaps they were
from Kemi after all, and that the whole sect in that area is now gone...
Perhaps, Susan Jane, the Saami were also part of those who did not
resist, just moved on, split up, or died off? Maybe that is wishful
thinking, I just don't know.

Lynda wrote:

So, my answer would be, it varied <g>

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: "EarthNSky" <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>

Lemme add that I am not trying to be a smartass...it is just that human history is quite long and I did not know if you were talking hundreds of years, decades, thousands of years or tens of thousands of years..

EarthNSky wrote:
How new do ya think it is?

Lynda wrote:
The raiding and killing for resources is a relative new thing, Ray. And even with its inception, it was relatively limited to certain areas and groups. There were whole areas where folks were quite content with the area they lived in and what they had in that area.

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda