homestead - Re: [Homestead] Chicken farm pollution

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Chicken farm pollution
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 08:45:49 -0600

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth
<lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com> wrote:
> Absolutely. Chicken manure from factory farms is so full of anitibiotics and
> other nasty stuff that I would never use it. I also don't consider any
> animal confinment situation to be 'farming'. It's factory work.

I'm not sure what all is in commercial chicken manure, but I imagine
lots of it could be reduced to harmless by composting (and it's not
hard to get chicken manure hot). OTOH, I'd not want to use manure from
a horsebarn -- I'm not sure that composting would disintegrate the
dewormers.

Marie, who has plenty of pristine goat and donkey manure (and it is so
thoughtful of the donks to crap in one place)