homestead - Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Jersey cows
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 08:38:37 EST

> > We homesteaders trend past independence into isolationism.

'Isolationism' is such a harsh word. I rather tend to view it as solitude.

Here in the midst of economic hard times with prospects of much more, two
groups of individuals I know are coming to grips with the concept of
'community'.
But, sure enough, most if not all the people who want to conjoin pledge to
bring to the community such vital skills as making bead jewelry, helping set
up
web pages, being a life coach, etc. all the duff and fluff that constitutes
our present society.

They think, as they have for their entire modern lives, that there are people
out there willing to keep them fed, warm, and supplied with clothing in
exchange for doing some cutesy but otherwise useless activities.

The lesson I've learned from observing the plans and attempts at community
over many years is that people think joining a community will make up for
their
weaknesses and deficits. The opposite is true, it will all such to light and
test them sorely.

There is an inefficiency in anything that goes beyond strict direct use. For
a commuity to work, the total sum production of its individuals must exceed
the requiraed total needs of the whole.

Though it seems a bit of a koan, the only communities that ever actually
succeed are those that are made up of more or less "isolated" individuals.

James