homestead - Re: [Homestead] DAY 21 Update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] DAY 21 Update
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:57:33 -0500

Regular season<g> hatching summary and stats:
21 living, fuzzy, seemingly healthy chicks
22 live hatches Day 20-21 of 28 eggs = 79% hatch rate
11% rotten/non-viable (3 eggs so far)
1 post hatching fatality due to lack of yolk absorption/euthanasia
75% overall success rate, which might go higher if any of the 3 eggs still in incubator hatches tomorrow or Wednesday.

I'll tell ya, I'm really kind of proud of my candling interpretations. The first time I candled, years ago, I think I might have gotten 60-70% accuracy. This time, I was almost 100%.

Not counting the eggs still in the incubator:
I had marked 2 eggs with an X and 2 eggs with a ?
Both X eggs were bad, and one of the ? eggs was bad. The other yielded the little black chick I am calling Q. I got the 50%.

I guess that is why I still have faith in the eggs in the incubator.
Even if they turn out to be non viable, that is 3/24 that were checked as good that would not be, which is 13% error on false positives and 11% candling error overall. Also, it may be that it was candled correctly, but that something happened in the chick development. (I should be able to determine that when I break the egg on Wednesday should it fail to hatch).

On Wednesday, I'll give the post season hatching summary... :)
I talked to Crystal today and verified that I can keep the Hovabator until the Spring...yippee!!!
There is a woman on the other side of the loop with guineas...I sure would like some guineas!!!
And ducks! And peafowl! Probably won't find peafowl, but I might be able to find some Muscovy ducks.
I'm psyched!

Bev

Robert Walton wrote:
Isn't that about a 70% or so hatch rate? I'd say that is pretty good
and might go higher.

Rob - Va

Of 28 eggs, disposition is as follows

20 fuzzy chicks in the box. (new picture)
1 wet chick with yolk sac unabsorbed in the incubator. (new picture)
3 potentially viable eggs in incubator, one is '2 day later' egg, but no
signs of hatching. These eggs will be kept 23 days. (new picture)
3 eggs discarded, rotten
1 chick euthanized.