homestead - [Homestead] DAY 21 Update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] DAY 21 Update
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 11:34:47 -0500

This morning, I have 16 chicks alive and dry. Mr. Firstborn is still
hanging in there, but still appears weaker than the others. His yolk
sack is now gone, having mostly dried to his hind quarters, but there
was some reabsorption. If he survives a few more hours, I will try to
clean him up, but I want to make sure his navel has closed first. I
placed him with the other chicks for the pictures, but he is separated
now. You can see him at about 7:00 in the picture with all yellow chicks.
I still have cracked eggs and pipping chicks in the incubator.

I candled these eggs at 10 days and marked them as I saw them. I put a
check on the eggs that looked good(25), an X on the eggs that did not
seem fertilized(2), and a ? on an egg(1) that I was unsure about. There
is also an egg with the phrase '2 days' on it because it was placed in
the incubator 2 days late. I originally had an egg in that slot, but a
friend noticed a crack in the egg on the second day, so we replaced the
egg. A chick has emerged from the question mark egg, and since he/she
is a definitely different looking, I have named him/her Q for
questioning.<g>
Q is black with white wing tips and has a very small white dot on the
top of his head. Q may be the cutest chick of the hatch, at least so
far. I cannot see any sign that the two X eggs will hatch, but I am
hoping to be wrong. I am not looking forward to removing them from the
incubator. The 2 day egg is not cracked yet.
Still waiting...

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda