homestead - Re: [Homestead] DAY 21 Update

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] DAY 21 Update
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 13:10:30 -0500

I have removed the eggs marked with an X and they were candled correctly as non-viable. I also found and removed another ? egg that was obviously rotten(very light-no weight to it)
I had to euthanize Mr. Firstborn. He was losing ground quickly and I did not want to prolong his suffering.
I made up a gruel of grits, eggs, wheat germ, crushed millet, and crushed flax. Some of the more robust chicks are eating already. (Once I know they are all eating, I will feed commercial crumbles)

In summary:

3 wet chicks have just hatched in the incubator
3 more chicks are in the process of hatching(any minute now)

Three eggs have not started hatching, one of which is the one marked '2 day'
Three eggs have been disposed of as rotten eggs.
1 chick born alive has been euthanized
15 fuzzy chicks in brooder box

Total living chicks hatched as of 13:00 hours on Day 21 = 18, soon to be 21.
If 21 live, that is a 75% success rate. I'll take that, happily.

--
“Fear is the path to the Dark Side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13