homestead - Re: [Homestead] Barnyard fowl was Local chicken - 1/4 pound egg

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Barnyard fowl was Local chicken - 1/4 pound egg
  • Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:25:22 -0500

I only have one, a peahen, who I call Penelope. She just wandered into my barn a couple years ago and never left. I asked around, but no one seemed to be missing her.

They are funny critters. It took me a while to realize what she was; I was thinking guinea, but she's too big. The first time she made noise, it woke me from a dead sleep. I thought it was 'invasion of the zombies' or something, such a strange noise. She's aggressive and has all the cats terrified. And she can fly and has an impressive wingspan. I think she's lonely, though...she follows the duck around. I know where I can get eggs to hatch or newly hatched peafowl for a reasonable price; next time I raise a batch of chicks, maybe I'll add a few peafowl.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>