homestead - Re: [Homestead] weather

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] weather
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:46:46 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
It is 35 degrees with a bone breaking wind. Watering the baby
chickens was not fun today. Will the wind ever stop and will it feel
like Fall again?

------------ It's been in the 20's and snowing all day, with that
horrible wind. I've concluded that fall is over and put up the
plastic on the windows. They aren't going to open again until spring.
When my son finally breaks down and wears his coat, it will be winter
(he went to school in a hoodie this morning).

Well, I did chores in a hoodie<g> I was just thankful that the only
thing I had to do that involved water was fill up that little container
and water my greenhouse plants. Milking would be rough, as would be
moving a pig pen around. It would be nice to have dairy goats and pigs
again, except on days like today. It takes me a week or so to
acclimate to the cold and I'm just not there yet this year, and of
course, it's not really that cold, all things considered.

I looked at the accuweather 15 day forecast and it does appear that we
will see the upper 50's and 60's again starting Thanksgiving week, but
you know what that mean...what does it do when it warms up??? It
rains!! and that, too, was in the forecast, for turkey day, no less.

The leaves are way past peak here, the trees are about 20% bare, but
there are still a few beautiful trees. I have a nice maple in the front
yard that is simply spectacular, just hitting it's prime, with that
deep, rich orangey red color. And today, it occurs to me that it was
really stupid of me to plant grass seed yesterday before raking up some
leaves. Now, if I mow to pick up leaves, I'll either suck it all up or
rip it out. Dumb

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda