homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farm terms

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farm terms
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:28:44 -0500

My recent experience in Costa Rica humbled me language-wise. They say
the French are language snobs but the Ticos clearly had a little fun
at our expense. Once, we were asking at a gas station (a bombas) for
directions to the "aero port" and you never saw such blank
expressions. Finally, a cabbie there who spoke some english said "you
mean the "aero puerto""? They got a good laugh, but we found our way.

They have a fantastic beer there called "Imperial". I don't know how
to punctuate it but those with a grasp of Spanish realize that the
last syllable is accented. Well, this Southerner never quite got that
and the Ticos never tired of making me repeat it until I was at least
close. I finally resorted to ordering a cerveza, and since Imperial is
their major, native beer that's what I got. (I highly recommend it to
those of you in the US where it is available- Don I'm talking to you).

Also, a "taco" down there is quite a pleasure. Especially if eaten
roadside in one of the many "sodas" along the way. Stringed seasoned
beef usually, rolled in a tortilla and lightly fried, topped with a
"salad" of cabbage, carrots, vinegar and a few seasonings.

I think with two more weeks I could have been passably orally
literate- the Spanish wasn't particularly difficult to read but
writing it, for me, might take a few years to master. (One can dream).

Warren