homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fennel

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fennel
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:30:24 -0500

Bev,
I grow fennel (or rather, it grows and I take credit). I can't imagine potato soup without chopped fennel leaves added just before serving. It is a bi-annual that reseeds readily. I just leave the spent tops with seed heads in the garden over winter and let it come up where it wants. It moves easily in case it wants where I don't. Mine grow to be over 7ft tall and are quite the eye catching plant. However, it does like a good bit of water to keep the feathery leaves green. Fennel can also be added to bean soups (yum) and dishes to advert flatulence. Crushed fennel seed tea is also said to be good for stomach distress and PMS bloating. For the latter, I believe it acts as a diuretic. It also attracts tons of beneficial little wasps to the garden. That in itself is a good reason to grow it. I grow what is called "leaf fennel" as opposed to "bulb fennel". I have never grown or eaten the bulb type which is often used in Mediterranean cooking.

Wendy

What am I missing here?
When I think of fennel, I think seeds. I've never used/eaten anything
but the seeds. I bought some fennel seeds as I heard it will
perennialize(always a good think, IMO), but as I read on how to grow it,
I see that people are eating the leaves and bulbs, too. What???
This is from one website
http://usagardener.com/how_to_grow_herbs/how_to_grow_fennel.php

Aromatic, cosmetic, culinary, decorative, and medicinal. Fennel adds
fragrance to creams, perfumes, soaps, liqueurs, and potpourris. An
infusion of ground stems is used for cleansing and medicating the
skin. The licorice-flavored plant is used in sauces, soups, stews,
and salads and as garnish for fish. The stems can be eaten like
celery, and the roots can be boiled as a vegetable. The seeds can be
used whole or ground in desserts, breads, cakes, cookies, teas, and
beverages. The plant is used to make bright yellow or gold dye. It
also can be grown in large containers. Fennel is said to have some
medicinal qualities.

I can vouch for the medicinal...nothing better than a tea of fennel and
plantain for sore or dry eyes.

Does the bulb and stems taste like the seeds?

Do not plant fennel next to dill, beans or tomatoes, as they tend to
cross-pollinate.

Cross pollinate with tomatoes and beans??? What?? I understand that it
is not a good companion, but cross pollinating?
I do plan to separate it from most of the garden, but if I don't put it
inside the fence, I'll lose it. If you are growing it, what are you
growing it next to? I'm thinking maybe I will grow it near the big
rosemary bush-there are only flowers in that area. Would that kill the
rosemary? How would it affect small pecan tree if I planted it 4 or 5
feet away(Pecan is about 6 feet tall)?

Bev

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda