homestead - Re: [Homestead] was SE PA, Now B*g Br*ther

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was SE PA, Now B*g Br*ther
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:24:37 -0500

I love raising meat birds; it's the processing I hate. I've raised meat chickens in the past. I don't mind processing a few for myself, but doing enough to sell gets to me. The smell of wet feathers turns my stomach, and being elbow-deep in chicken guts for a couple days isn't something I enjoy. Turkeys might be easier, since they are larger, and I wouldn't have to do as many.

I think a lot of domesticated animals in confinement situations get stupid, or maybe just brain-dead. I've seen it in cows and chickens. Mine are all free-range and pretty clever...my chickens can find their own food. They ate my Halloween pumpkin right off the front porch...it was very scary-looking by the time they got done with it. I've also seen them eat snakes, mice, and voles. Sheep I don't know about...I think they may have had the brains bred out of them. Mine can be pretty dumb.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA

----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>