homestead - Re: [Homestead] was SE PA, Now B*g Br*ther

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was SE PA, Now B*g Br*ther
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:30:28 -0800

Youngest raises turkeys but the folks who buy them know they have to take them live. They are mean birds! Or at least the bronze are.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>

I love raising meat birds; it's the processing I hate. I've raised meat
chickens in the past. I don't mind processing a few for myself, but doing
enough to sell gets to me. The smell of wet feathers turns my stomach, and
being elbow-deep in chicken guts for a couple days isn't something I enjoy.
Turkeys might be easier, since they are larger, and I wouldn't have to do as
many.

I think a lot of domesticated animals in confinement situations get stupid,
or maybe just brain-dead. I've seen it in cows and chickens. Mine are all
free-range and pretty clever...my chickens can find their own food. They ate
my Halloween pumpkin right off the front porch...it was very scary-looking
by the time they got done with it. I've also seen them eat snakes, mice, and
voles. Sheep I don't know about...I think they may have had the brains bred
out of them. Mine can be pretty dumb.