homestead - Re: [Homestead] electric shock for bites

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] electric shock for bites
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:48:56 -0500

Ya know, I never would have thought about this, but in North Dakota, we never
had any problem with this kind of thing. I never saw a black widow till I
moved to Utah, no scorpions, and had never even heard of a brown recluse
until leaving the state. I'd never even seen a cockroach til I went to
Taiwan. We did get some BIG garden spiders, and mosquitos were pretty big,
but they never bothered me much, either. Course, you really only had to deal
with them for the two weeks of poor sleddin', so even they were OK.

We did get something interesting at the nursing home my mom worked at (as a
nurse). She brought home this WIERD arachnid bug thing. We actually took it
to the bug guy at the local university. He called it a "sand scorpion",
native to the deserts down south. We figured it probably hitched a ride with
a visitor to the nursing home. Didn't look like any scorpion I'd ever heard
of. It looked really cool in the bug collection I was putting together for
biology class. No one else had anything close. ;-)

Ray