homestead - Re: [Homestead] electric shock for bites

  • From: shepperd <shepperd AT mail2.pvco.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] electric shock for bites
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 03:41:47 -0600

I think the problem is not in the way that the electric current destabilizes the proteins in the venoms, although venoms work in different ways. Some work on the nervous system, some work on the coagulation properties of blood. The problem is that the electric current stimulates the heart and agitates the muscles, both causing the venom to spread rapidly through the body. In some cases, the electric current breaks down muscle tissue, causing muscle damage. The original hope was that stun guns would limit the spread of the venom to a small area and break down the venom properties, thus localizing and minimizing its impact.

The problem with using an ignition wire from a car, is that one can get way too much electric current.