homestead - Re: [Homestead] Braided rugs

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Braided rugs
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 23:11:25 -0500

SJC wrote:

It's find to use old thread there but when you go to sew the braids one to another you'll want something heavy, and new. There are threads made for just that purpose called 'lacing' thread or yarn, but come to think of it I haven't seen any for 20 years or more, so maybe that's not the case anymore..

I don't have the lacing thread, but I do have some heavy duty stuff that should work.

In any case, you'll want something both very pliable (so
it doesn't show) and rather 'soft' in feel (so it doesn't cut into your rag under stress). I have always found enough at yard sales to hold me, but short of that I might look at some of the lighter weight braided fishline.

I thought of that. Some of the new braided lines might work even better than the thread I have. I'm glad you mentioned this because it was one of my questions, just that I forgot to ask it!

They make special needles for the job (not surprisingly called lacing needles), too, and they are worth the price.

I bought one for the job. :)

I'm glad to know someone has experience in case I run into trouble.

Bev

Has anyone here actually made a rug or something similar from
sheets/scrap material?
Many, woven mostly, one crochet (last time I ever do that!), one knit (last time I ever do that, too!), several small area rugs that I braided when we lived in VA. Now I'm where there is more scrap wool I generally use wool, as it is easier on the hands to handle, more durable, dyeable, and holds it's shape better, although I do still weave a lot of rag of all sorts. Many a winter hour is still spent by the stove taking out seams, putting zips in one pile, buttons in a jar... For kitchen or porch rugs cotton is best, throw in washer and over line and you're done. I have a couple of floor looms and keep one warped up for wool and the other for cotton.

SusanJane, up here in the gray drip, drip, drip....