homestead - [Homestead] Snow peas and other stuff

  • From: Rebecca Lewinski <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Snow peas and other stuff
  • Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 10:14:04 -0800

While checking for windstorm damage this morning, I took some experimental
pokes at the newly-cleaned garden bed backed by our garage. Soil is still
pretty friable in that bed. It's been used almost exclusively for tomatoes
for a number of years now, since it's somewhat protected and gets full sun.
The garage wall also reflects a lot of needed heat in our cool summers.
ANYWAY, I'm thinking it might be worth starting some snowpeas under cover in
that particular bed. I've been told I could get a late crop of snowpeas in
the main garden if I planted by early October. But I don't know if light or
cold is the limiting factor for their growth. I'm a little suspicious that
it may be light levels, as we can start snowpeas around the end of February
in the main garden with no protection at all. Is there a reference book or a
website that covers what crops are governed by light levels? I know some
plants are pickier than others.

other stuff:

Bev, about that spider bite. Have you tried putting really hot damp
compresses on it? I'm very prone to skin infections from scratches and
bites. If the injury is in an easily reached place, I soak the area in as
hot of water as I can stand (without burning!) for a few minutes, five times
a day. Otherwise it's the hot compress. The heat treatment must mimic
inflammation, as it seems to kill off whatever bacteria is multiplying in the
injury--I haven't had to see a doc to treat a skin infection in ages since
I've started using damp heat. We also found out by accident that the heat
seems to break up whatever the itch factor is in things like flea bites
(doesn't work on mosquito bites though!).

and more other stuff:
I've mentioned George Ure and UrbanSurvival here before--he had some
interesting stuff to pass on this morning about market timing and the bailout
of GE. The web bots seem to be coming in on target too, what with this being
another release period and the market swooping down some more (stay tuned for
Dubya, he's giving another speech on the economy in the next hour...).

if you want to visit George:
http:urbansurvival.com/week.htm
or his mirror site at IndependenceJournal

-Rebecca in the great Northwest

See how Windows® connects the people, information, and fun that are part of
your life
http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119463819/direct/01/