homestead - Re: [Homestead] Serious issues

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Serious issues
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 08:28:10 -0500

Jeanne, mullein dries well, remains soft for such uses. It might not be
the shape of a leaf, but it would be serviceable. I dry mullein just to
keep it onhand in the event I don't have money to go to the doctor. In a
tea, it is a pretty good expectorant and bronchodilator for me. I
believe certain Native Americans used it for asthma and other
respiratory ailments.
Princess tree AKA Paulownia species AKA Empress tree have very,very
large leaves, you have probably seen this tree before as it is hard to
miss. The leaves are larger than dinner plates and somewhat soft. On
Tvo's advice, we will be planting a number of these trees in the Spring,
mostly for woodworking purposes, but also for firewood, privacy, and as
an investment. There are pics on the page below.
http://www.worldpaulownia.com/html/ordering.html

Jeanne Driese wrote:
Thanks to all who offered suggestions!!! They were all excellent and
simple solutions!! With the drought there is not very much moss, but good thing to keep in mind, and I do not know what a princess tree is. In a survival class I took back in pre Y2K years it was suggested that mullein was good to use for potty paper, nice big soft
leaves but wonder how they would work after frost, not very well I would guess! Jeanne tnhillwoman North East TN zone 6 ----- Original

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda