homestead - [Homestead] NYC tolls - Lynn, how would this affect someone who lives close to the city?

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] NYC tolls - Lynn, how would this affect someone who lives close to the city?
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 15:39:41 -0800 (PST)

NYC tolls on all bridges - Lynn, how would this affect someone who lives
close to the city? Do you go to NYC very often? I would think that someone
who lives as close as PA would, but, maybe not.........bobford

Nov 8, 2008 3:24 pm US/Eastern
Sources: MTA To Toll All East River Bridges
Cash-Strapped MTA About To Drop Hammer On Everyone
Congestion Pricing May Also Be Back On The Table
Reporting
Marcia Kramer NEW YORK (CBS) ― Believe it or not, there is even grimmer
budget news.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is swimming in a sea of red ink and
sources tell CBS 2 HD drivers in the city might not like the bailout plan.

Nearly half a million cars go back and forth over the Brooklyn, Manhattan,
Williamsburg and 59th Street bridges every day for free. Some people think
that's not right.

"We already have tolls at the Battery Tunnel, Midtown Tunnel, the Triborough
Bridge let's put pricing on all of the crossings in between," said Sam
Schwartz, one of the leading transportation engineers in the country.

Guess what? State and city officials now seem to agree. Sources tell CBS 2 HD
that putting tolls on some or all of the East River bridges is part of the
bailout plan being considered for the MTA.

"People coming into the city should be paying for some of the service they
get," Schwartz said.

Tolling all four bridges may be a heavy lift for Mayor Michael Bloomberg
right now, which is why it's possible tolls could be put on just two.

Another option is to have tolls only during morning and evening rush hours.

Sources say putting tolls on all four spans could raise almost $1 billion for
mass transit.

"That's crazy," said Alex Shaw of the Bronx. "We're taxed enough. They've got
to get the money from someplace else. Stop putting it on the motorists."

Added James Yglesias of Brooklyn Heights: "You can't punish us for driving."

"For me, it's not good," said Jorge Morena.

Surprisingly, not everyone is against the new tolls.

"People that don't live in the city should pay a little bit extra," said
Debrah Levy of Greenwich Village. "People that are in the city need the break
on the subways."

"I don't like it at all. I think that's ridiculous, but I mean, hey, if it's
going to better our city in any way," said Torey Guite of Flatbush.

"I wouldn't be in favor of it, but if this is something we have to do to
stimulate the economy then I'm all for it," added Angela Grant.

But it may not stop with the East River tolls. A top transit source told CBS
2 HD the mayor's full congestion pricing plan is also back on the table.

On Monday, the MTA will reveal just how much in the red it really is.

Even with the East River tolls, a fare hike on bus, subway and commuter rails
is expected.

A poll roll tax on employers is also being considered.

http://wcbstv.com/politics/michael.bloomberg.east.2.859306.html