homestead - Re: [Homestead] sheep was Another wood-fired oven production

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sheep was Another wood-fired oven production
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:43:01 -0600

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 10:10 AM, VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> One thing I've considered as a way to make a small farm work is to raise
> sheep, or angora goats. Make cheese and spin wool and make weavings to
> sell. The breed selected would surely not be the best wool or best milkers
> but having 2 products might offset that. Reason for doing cheese and
> weaving is to ad value over just selling the commodities.
> Is there a market for milk from sheep dairies or would all that be used for
> making cheese?

No, there isn't a market for sheep milk. Sheep dairies that are making
it do so because they can make their cheese and sell it. It's labor
intensive, but the short sheep lactation gives the owner a break from
the dairy business for at least part of the year. Plus, sheep are
often milked just once a day.

Marie