homestead - Re: [Homestead] sheep was Another wood-fired oven production

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] sheep was Another wood-fired oven production
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 10:31:03 -0800

A lot of folks that are lactose intolerant aren't just lactose intolerant. The fat in cow's milk is "large" and hard to digest. The fat in goat and sheep's milk is "small" and almost naturally homogonized and easier to digest. You combine that with a different type of milk sugar and less of it and you don't have the problems with goat and sheep's milk that you do with cow's milk.

Goat's milk is recommended for the elderly and others that have digestive problems because it is easier to digest because of the above.

The only reason the cattle dairies are easier is that you get more from less in numbers. Both goats and sheep are relatively easy to milk and milking machines have been adapted to be used as such. The reason there aren't more sheep dairies, IMNSHO <g>, is that the meat of the milking sheep is of an inferior quality. At this point, folks haven't seemed to have mastered the art of crossing to get a superior meat quality lamb from the superior milk quality ewes. When/if they do, you'll see more sheep's milk cheeses here and NZ won't be too happy with us!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Why would one kind of dairy matter much over another, with animals in general? I know a small percentage of people are lacotse intolerant, but I don't know how that applies across the animal world or why they would be more tolerant of one mil over another....bobford